CAN IMU Rev.C
CAN_IMU rev.C is compatible with the SimpleBGC 32-bit Extended, Pro, and CAN_MCU controllers. This is an improved version of CAN_IMU (product page) and can be used as a direct replacement.
- CAN bus* provides a more reliable and error-free connection compared to the I2C, not limited in length. CAN bus is supported by the "extended" family of SBGC32 controller.
- I2C port is compatible with the regular SBGC32 IMU cable and all SBGC32 controllers.
- EEPROM to store calibration data.
- Nex-gen 6-axis sensor ICM-42688-P from InveSense has a better performance compared to the previous generations.
- Additional I2C, SPI, and UART interfaces for the external device connectivity (see the list of supported devices below).
- PWM output for controlling an external thermal stabilization device
- Compact size. Mounting holes are compatible with the I2C IMU and prev. version of the CAN_IMU. Optional box.
- Factory-calibrated (accelerometer offset and scale, gyroscope offset)**
* For proper functionality of CAN IMU, you need the firmware version 2.61b2 or above.
** Factory calibrations should be transferred to the main controller using the "Calibration helper" tool in the GUI
|Size of the board||25×25 mm|
|Distance between the mounting holes||14.2 mm|
|Diameter of the mounting holes||3 mm|
2.0" header connector pins description with alternative functions
- PWM - PWM waveform output for thermostabilisation, for future use
- SCK, MISO, MOSI - external sensor connected by SPI
- CS_X, CS_Y, CS_Z - "device select" pins for SPI connection. CS_X for 3-axis devices, other for connecting 1-axis gyroscopes individually.
- RX, TX - external sensor connected by UART
- SDA, SCL - external optional magnetometer connected by I2C
- RST - connected to NRST pin of the external sensor (required for some models)
List of the supported external sensors
CAN_IMU supports a high-grade external sensor. It may be a high-quality gyroscope - in this case, the external gyroscope replaces the internal one. If the device has a 3-axis accelerometer, it replaces the internal accelerometer. For complete AHRS devices, the provided attitude and heading information are used instead of the attitude/heading estimated by our internal algorithms.
- Vectornav VN100, VN200 - AHRS + GNSS (VN200 only). Connected by UART or SPI
- KVH 1725, 1750, 1775 - 3-axis fiber optic gyroscope + 3-axis accelerometer. Connected by UART
- KVH 1760 - 3-axis fiber optic gyroscope. Connected by UART
- ADXRS453 -1-axis gyroscope, connected by SPI
- ADIS16460 - 3-axis gyroscope + 3-axis accelerometer, connected by SPI
- STIM210 - 3-axis gyroscope, connected by UART
- STIM300 - 3-axis gyroscope + 3-axis accelerometer, connected by UART
CAN IMU Firmware v.1.37 (46Kb 28.02.2023)
- bugfix in handling of an external sensor (ADIS16460, STIM210, etc.)
CAN IMU Firmware v.1.35 (47Kb 4.04.2022)
- Add a support of an external sensor Murata SCHA63X - high-quality 6-DOF gyroscope and accelerometer (starting from SBGC32 firmware v.2.71b6)
- Add a support of "Serial link over CAN" (starting from SBGC32 firmware v.2.71b6)
CAN IMU Firmware v.1.32 (38Kb 20.07.2021)
- Support external sensors ADIS16460, Vectornav VN100, VN200 (UART)*, STIM210 (UART), STIM300 (not tested)
- Bugfix: was not working as 2nd frame IMU
* Vectornav ext. sensor support is implemented starting from 2.71b0 main firmware
How to upgrade firmware
To upgrade a firmware in the CAN module, connect module by CAN interface to the board, connect the board to a PC and run SimpleBGC32 GUI. It's better to not connect a battery.
- Go to "Upgrade" tab, open "Connected modules" tab. Press the "Refresh" button to load information about modules.
- Select a required module from the list. GUI will show current hardware, firmware and bootloader versions for each module (excepting GUI prior to 2.62: it shows hardware and bootloader version only).
- Browse for the file containing new firmware. Be careful, flashing improper file will make the device "bricked" and it will be hard to make it alive.
- Press "Flash" button to write firmware.
- Reconnect USB to restart gimbal controller and let him see changes.
- Connect GUI and repeat steps 2, 3 to check that new firmware is working and whole system operates normally.
1 If sensor is connected by the I2C interface, for 100% compatibility it is required to upgrade firmware in the main controller to version 2.61b9 and above.
Type your question or comment below. Answer will be sent at your e-mail within 24 hours on workdays.