- CAN bus provides more reliable and error free connection compared to the I2C, not limited in length. CAN bus is supported in "Extended" and "Pro" versions of SBGC32 controller.
- I2C port compatible with the regular SBGC32 IMU cable and all SBGC32 controllers.
- EEPROM to store calibration data.
- New 6-axis sensor ICM20608 from InveSense has better performance compared to the old MPU-6050.
- Additional I2C and UART interfaces for the external device connectivity (to be used in future versions of firmware).
- Compact size. Mounting holes are compatible with the old SBGC32 IMU. Optional box.
For proper functionality of CAN IMU, you need the firmware version 2.61b2 or above.
|Size of the board||25×25 mm|
|Distance between the mounting holes||14.2 mm|
|Diameter of the mounting holes||3 mm|
- Here you can
specify the type
of external device
Reserved for future use.
- Here you can set the type of IMU sensor:
main by default or frame if soldered.
- CAN-bus terminator.
Solder this contact
pads if IMU is
the last connected
device on a bus.
Do not solder it for
- EEPROM write
pads. Solder them
- Here you can connect external device or sensor.
Reserved for future use.
SBGC32 controllers (318Kb 6.02.2020)
CAN IMU Firmware v.1.32 (38Kb 20.07.2021)
- Support external sensors ADIS16460, Vectornav VN100, VN200 (UART)*, STIM210 (UART), STIM300 (not tested)
- Bugfix: was not working as 2nd frame IMU
* Vectornav ext. sensor support is implemented starting from 2.71b0 main firmware
CAN IMU Firmware v.1.27 (25Kb 15.03.2021) (compatible with main firmware 2.69b4+)
- Bugfix: temperature calibration gives incorrect result
CAN IMU Firmware v.1.25 (37Kb 6.02.2020) (compatible with main firmware 2.69b4+)
- Add a support of magnetometer sensor connected to I2C port: HMC5883(L), HMC5983, QMC5883L*
- Add a support of external gyroscope sensors: ADXRS453 (needs h/w upgrade of CAN_IMU with the SPI port), KVH FOG (more info)*
CAN IMU Firmware v.1.21 (22Kb 5.07.2018)
- Add a support of ICM-20602 sensor
- Minor bugfixes
CAN IMU Firmware v.1.1 (21Kb 26.11.2016)
- Fixed the critical issue with the accidental spin of all motors at startup 1
/!\ We strictly advise to upgrade firmware to all owners of CAN IMU sensor loaded with the 1.0 version of firmware (all items ordered prior to 22.11.2016)!
How to upgrade firmware
To upgrade a firmware in the CAN module, connect module by CAN interface to the board, connect the board to a PC and run SimpleBGC32 GUI. It's better to not connect a battery.
- Go to "Upgrade" tab, open "Connected modules" tab. Press the "Refresh" button to load information about modules.
- Select a required module from the list. GUI will show current hardware, firmware and bootloader versions for each module (excepting GUI prior to 2.62: it shows hardware and bootloader version only).
- Browse for the file containing new firmware. Be careful, flashing improper file will make the device "bricked" and it will be hard to make it alive.
- Press "Flash" button to write firmware.
- Reconnect USB to restart gimbal controller and let him see changes.
- Connect GUI and repeat steps 2, 3 to check that new firmware is working and whole system operates normally.
Information regarding upgrading firmware over I2C interface will be available later.
1 If sensor is connected by the I2C interface, for 100% compatibility it is required to upgrade firmware in the main controller to version 2.61b9 and above.
Type your question or comment below. Answer will be sent at your e-mail within 24 hours on workdays.
The first revision of this module has a problem: when it is connected by the long cable (about 1m or longer) there is a risk to burn out internal 3.3V voltage regulator when connector is plugged into powered board, or when the main power is turning ON/OFF. The reason is transient voltage on the +5V line. To fix this problem, a Zenner diode BZT52C5V6T should be installed (replacing a capacitor C8 or in parallel to it) as shown on pictures below: